Friday, May 04, 2007

Strolling Around

A few weeks ago I mentioned a math problem that was apparently a piece of graffiti. Sadly, as time has passed the yellow utility box has lost some of its strangeness, as the long division has been obscured by later additions to the box.



Though I must admit, the printmaker in me likes the new sticker.

Speaking of printmakers, some street art that is pretty spectacular that pops up in Pittsburgh once in a while is that of Swoon. I found this video of one of her murals through the very excellent blog of Pittsburgh's Digging Pitt Gallery.




Sadly, Swoon's work isn't something that I see on my daily stroll with my baby daughter. Which isn't to say that we don't see a lot of neat stuff. We frequently roll along Walnut Street, where my favorite artworks are the telephone poles, with their wonderful encrustations of staples and nails and such.



My daughter's favorite sculpture seems to be this fire hydrant, which we have to very carefully inspect every time we pass it:



Based on our strolls, you'd think that the next time we wander through a museum she'll be really excited about this:


Jeff Koons, Rabbit, 1986


and daddy might be more interested in this:


Kongo "Power Figure in the form of a two-headed dog", the Congo


though I must admit I'm pretty fond of the bunny, too.

No comments: