Thursday, August 07, 2008

life on mars, the Treasure Room



David Shrigley, I'm Dead, taxidermy kitten with wooden sign and acrylic paint
photo from the "life on mars" website, link below


I just spent a very engaging couple of hours with the life on mars exhibit at the Carnegie Museum of Art. This 58th edition of the Carnegie International may be old news to y'all (Susan Constanse did a number of excellent posts about the various artists in the show over on her blog), but with a toddler and an infant to juggle, I just don't get out as often as I used to, and this was the first chance I've had to see the show.

Anyway, if you haven't gone yet and end up at the Museum sometime this year (the show closes 1/11/09), be sure to check out David Shrigley's work in the Treasure Room. It was a perfect use for this little space off of the sculpture balcony that usually houses cases full of precious little ceramic-ish objects. I previously knew David Shrigley primarily through his drawings, and it was great to see these objects. I don't know if the installation in the Treasure Room was his idea or the curator's, but it was a wonderful use of the site to amplify the absurdity of the objects. Great stuff.

No comments: