Saturday, March 10, 2007

I had to get up before sunrise for work to join a gathering of people excited about watching an implosion. The building was called the Intel Shell - a remnant of the dot.com bust. Intel started construction and ran out of money and pulled back leaving a half finished eye-sore in downtown.

Austin ain't Vegas. We don't get many building implosions here. Lots of people came early for the show. I overheard many people say they got up hours ahead of time to make sure they didn't miss it.

My favorite thing I saw there was this guy's homemade hat adorned with the image of the building. One reason is simply the shape reminds me of a Pope hat. He should have been pushing the button wearing that thing. I also applaud his crafty-ness and enthusiasm.

I feel like this happy guy and his hat tell you all you need to know about Austin's enthusiasm for getting rid of an old eyesore.

For anyone who still thinks they need to see a good ol' fashion implosion, here it is:


No comments: