Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Before and After

I recently finished a piece that is going to be on display in an exhibition at the Southern Humanities Council Annual Conference. Invited artists were asked to make a piece around the theme "Home is Where the ______ Is". I thought you might enjoy seeing the thumbnail sketch and the finished product. I went from this:


to this:


Home, cyanotype and acrylic on paper, 12" x 12"


Now I'm the first to admit that things don't always get better as they get more complicated. There are qualities in the sharpie sketch that might have been lost in the finished piece. But it's a process - I keep working, and try to pull things out of the stream that are worth saving.

I know that this thumbnail drawing was one instance where the quick drawing ended up the "keeper", compared to the finished product.

No comments: