Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Moist Towelette Museum

We were eating at The Summer Place the other day, where you can get really great barbecue, but only in the summerish seasons, and I was struck by the wonderfulness of the packaging of the "moist towelette" that had been thoughtfully provided with my sandwich.



I was reminded of a class in early Italian Renaissance art that I took as an undergraduate, where we were asked to attempt to date an image we hadn't seen prior to the final exam based on what we knew of the artists and styles that we had studied. It seems to me that an expert in mid-twentieth century graphic design could date this "moist towelette" packaging pretty precisely. The font, the geometric abstraction, the palette - it's pretty terrific.

So, of course, a little poking around on the web reveals a very wonderful Moist Towelette Museum, where you can revel in the beauty of as much moist towelette packaging as you can stand.

No comments: