Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Goldstein records


goldstein records
Originally uploaded by jgk79.
Seen at the Austin Museum's New York 1974-1984 show. Having recently been bitten by the vinyl bug I was very appreciative of the multi-colored 7" vinyl as objects to be admired - as well as containing some crazy sound effects that Jack Goldstein recorded.

Most of my fascination with records has been with the physicality of the object that contains the music. I like the weight of the disc in my hand, especially the nicer heavier ones. Having grown up with digital stuff, ones and zeros spitting out music is not magical to me. A little groove vibrating a needle to spit out stereo music is still fascinating.

All I could think about for the rest of the time I was at the museum was putting those wonderful little discs on a phonograph and playing them. I don't think the museum staff would have let me, so I refrained from pulling them off the wall.

Not nearly as magical, but a more ephemeral way to hear the discs can be found here.

No comments: